Our Journey of Faith
Boone Methodist Episcopal Church South was chartered in 1866 and began meeting as a congregation in the county courthouse. As the church family grew, the need for their own building became evident. In 1877, a “barn” building was erected on West Queen Street. Over the next decade, this congregation continued to grow and develop, so in 1897, the church relocated to a new frame building on what is now 410 West King Street.
Continued growth caused this building to be inadequate, and a new site for the church was purchased in 1918. Opening services were held for the 247 member congregation in June 1923, at what is now 341 East King Street.
The church united with three major branches of Methodists in 1939, and the name became Boone Methodist Church. In 1964, the Wesley Foundation building was constructed for the Appalachian State University students who had been using church facilities. By 1956, the church had grown to 393 members. An additional educational facility was built and dedicated in 1958 for $87,000.
In 1968, the Methodist Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren. The church family became known as the Boone United Methodist Church. By 1981, the congregation was 700 members strong. On July 1, 1981, while the roof was being repaired, a tar pot exploded resulting in the destruction of the sanctuary by fire. Immediately a building committee was named, and a new building on the same site was begun in 1982 at a cost of over $1.2 million. The new edifice was completed in 1984, and the debt was paid within seven years!!
From 1984 through 1992, the church served the Kingdom from 423 West King Street. Continued growth had increased the congregation to over 1,100 members, which was straining the available parking and church facilities.